US Visa for Couples Outside Marriage

If you are in a committed relationship but not legally married, you may still be able to apply for a U.S. visa as a couple. However, it is important to note that the specific visa options available and the requirements may vary depending on the circumstances and the visa category. Here are a few possibilities to consider:

  1. B1/B2 Visitor Visa: Both partners can apply individually for B1/B2 tourist visas and mention their relationship as a couple during the application process. Each applicant will need to demonstrate their own strong ties to their home country and provide evidence of the purpose of their visit to the United States. It is essential to be honest about your relationship and provide any supporting documentation that can help establish your connection as a couple.
  2. Fiance(e) Visa (K-1): If you plan to marry your partner who is a U.S. citizen, you may consider applying for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. This visa allows you to enter the United States to marry your U.S. citizen partner within 90 days of your arrival. After marriage, you can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder).
  3. Partner Visa (e.g., F2, J2): If your partner holds a non-immigrant visa, such as an F or J visa, you may be eligible to apply for a dependent visa (F2 or J2) as their unmarried partner. However, eligibility criteria and the process may vary depending on the specific visa category and the sponsoring partner’s status.
  4. Common-Law Marriage: In some cases, if you are in a recognized common-law marriage in your home country, you may be able to present evidence of your relationship and apply for a U.S. visa as a spouse. However, it’s important to note that common-law marriage is not recognized in all U.S. states, and each case is assessed individually.

It is crucial to thoroughly research the specific visa options and requirements applicable to your situation. Consider consulting with an immigration attorney or reaching out to the U.S. embassy or consulate for accurate and up-to-date information on the visa category that best suits your circumstances.


How Long Will Your U.S. Visa Allow You to Stay in the U.S.

The duration of stay allowed on a U.S. visa depends on the specific visa category and the terms determined by the U.S. Department of State. Here are some common visa types and their associated maximum duration of stay:

  1. B1/B2 Visitor Visa: The B1 visa is for business travel, while the B2 visa is for tourism and other non-business purposes. Typically, B1/B2 visas are granted for a maximum initial period of six months. In some cases, a consular officer may grant a shorter duration based on the purpose of travel or individual circumstances. Extensions beyond the initial period are possible, but they require an application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  2. F Student Visa: The F visa is for academic studies in the United States. The duration of stay is typically determined by the duration of the educational program. Students with an F visa can usually stay in the U.S. as long as they are enrolled in a full-time course of study and maintain their student status. Upon completion of their program, they may be eligible for a grace period of up to 60 days to prepare for departure or pursue optional practical training.
  3. J Exchange Visitor Visa: The J visa is for participants in exchange programs, including students, scholars, research fellows, and professionals. The duration of stay varies based on the specific exchange program and the duration indicated on the DS-2019 form. Participants may be eligible for a grace period of up to 30 days after completing their program.
  4. H Work Visa: The H visa category includes various work-related visas such as H-1B (specialty occupation), H-2A (temporary agricultural workers), and H-2B (temporary non-agricultural workers). The duration of stay is typically determined by the employment period specified in the approved petition, up to a maximum of three years. Extensions are possible, but they require an application to the USCIS.

It’s important to note that the duration of stay on a visa is determined by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the port of entry upon your arrival in the United States. They may grant a period of stay shorter than the maximum allowed based on their discretion. It is crucial to comply with the terms and conditions of your visa and depart the United States before the authorized period of stay expires to avoid any immigration violations.

For precise information about the duration of stay for a specific visa category, it is recommended to consult the official website of the U.S. Department of State or speak with a qualified immigration attorney.


Emergency US Visa Appointment

If you are facing an emergency situation and require an urgent visa appointment at a U.S. embassy or consulate, there are a few steps you can take:

  1. Check the Embassy/Consulate Website: Visit the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you plan to apply for the visa. Look for information regarding emergency visa appointments or any specific instructions for urgent cases. Many embassies or consulates have dedicated sections on their websites that provide guidance on emergency visa services.
  2. Contact the Embassy/Consulate: Reach out to the embassy or consulate directly through their provided contact information. Explain your situation and the urgency of your need for a visa appointment. They may provide instructions or guidance on how to proceed, including any additional documents or information they may require.
  3. Request Expedited Appointment: Some embassies or consulates allow applicants to request expedited visa appointments in emergency situations. They may have specific criteria or documentation requirements to qualify for an expedited appointment. Follow the instructions provided by the embassy or consulate to submit your request.
  4. Contact the U.S. Department of State: If you are unable to secure an appointment through the embassy or consulate directly, you can contact the U.S. Department of State’s Visa Office for assistance. They may be able to provide guidance or escalate your situation to the appropriate authorities.

It’s important to note that emergency visa appointments are typically reserved for genuine emergencies, such as medical emergencies, the death or serious illness of a family member, or urgent business travel. Each embassy or consulate has its own procedures and policies for handling emergency cases, so it’s crucial to review their specific guidelines and follow the instructions provided.

Additionally, it’s recommended to reach out to an immigration attorney or seek professional advice to understand the best course of action based on your unique circumstances and the requirements of the specific embassy or consulate you are dealing with.


US Visa and Immigration Services

The U.S. Visa and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for the administration of immigration and naturalization processes in the United States. While I don’t have access to real-time data, as of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the following categories represent popular content and services provided by USCIS:

  1. Green Card (Permanent Resident Card): Information about eligibility, application processes, and requirements for obtaining lawful permanent residency in the United States.
  2. Work Visas: Details on various non-immigrant work visas, such as the H-1B visa for specialized workers, L-1 visa for intra-company transferees, O visa for individuals with extraordinary ability, and more.
  3. Family-Based Immigration: Information about sponsoring family members for immigration to the United States, including immediate relatives (spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21 years old) and other family preference categories.
  4. Citizenship and Naturalization: Resources on becoming a U.S. citizen, including the naturalization process, eligibility requirements, application forms, and study materials for the naturalization test.
  5. DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals): Information about the program that provides temporary protection from deportation and work authorization for undocumented individuals who arrived in the U.S. as children.
  6. Refugee and Asylum Services: Guidance for individuals seeking refugee or asylum status in the United States due to fear of persecution in their home countries.
  7. Forms and Fees: Access to various immigration forms required for different applications, as well as information on filing fees and payment methods.
  8. Case Status and Processing Times: Online tools to check the status of pending applications and estimated processing times for different USCIS services.
  9. E-Verify: Information on the electronic employment verification system that allows employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.

It’s important to note that USCIS policies and services may evolve over time, so I recommend visiting the official USCIS website ( for the most up-to-date information and resources.